Why is fruitcake so maligned?

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Why is fruitcake so maligned?

Post by Bkeepr »

Mrs Bkeepr made our Christmas fruitcakes yesterday, and I began the process of “feeding” in the evening. This is a family tradition going back to my Mom, who made the cakes until she was well into her 90s, when my wife took over.

I’ll admit, I didn’t care for fruitcake until I was in my early twenties, but since then I love it. It wouldn’t be Christmas without it, and I could eat it all year round, if my Mrs would make it.

I understand that not everyone likes it, but I guess I don’t understand why it became the butt of so many jokes. My guess is that many folks who don’t like it have not eaten it…or at least not homemade.

Am I the only fruitcake lover here?
Red Dave

Re: Why is fruitcake so maligned?

Post by Red Dave »

Bkeepr wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:28 pm Am I the only fruitcake lover here?
No, you are not the only one. My Mother made a fruitcake when we were kids that we loved. She wrapped it in a rum soaked towel. One of my sisters still makes them and sends each of us one every Christmas, minus the rum soaked towel.

It is similar, but different than the commercial fruitcakes in that it has more flavor, and no maraschino cherries. None of us like maraschino cherries.

I've tasted the commercially made fruitcakes and I can understand why some people don't like them.
It's just not the same as Mom's home made.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

I haven't had fruitcake in many, many years. Probably not since I joined the Navy and left the farm. I did love the home-made ones from Aunts and other relatives. And yes, rum-soaked or at least rum flavored.

Not sure where I'd even get one these days, and it would have to be commercial. I suspect the memories would be better than the reality.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Mom’s recipe calls for “feeding” the baked fruitcakes over several weeks by brushing them each time with 2 ounces of a flavored hard liquor and re-wrapping it. Usually 2 or 3 feedings, depending on the feel.

Over the years, I know she used whatever was at hand, but she said Bourbon is best. Oddly enough, I don’t think the booze is the domi flavor, although it is essential. Mom taught her next door neighbor to make it, too, and they’ve been doing so for years now.
Patria

Post by Patria »

It's been long since the last time I had a taste of homemade fruitcake but the people who made it are long gone.
We can get it here at the big stores during Christmas time and they look so pretty. Hmm but come to think of it I can get me one of those and, "feed it" ? 8-)

Bkeepr, this thread calls for recipes, photos, and tips.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Patria wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:51 am…Bkeepr, this thread calls for recipes, photos, and tips…
I will see if I can get Mom’s recipe from Mrs Bkeepr to post, and I can take a few pictures now, even though there is not much to see of this year’s work, just another feeding and then wrap them up for Christmas. But I think Mom would like to see her recipe spread around…

Thanks for asking, Patria.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Patria wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:51 am ...Bkeepr, this thread calls for recipes, photos, and tips.
Here's the recipe, my Mom's original with Pam's notes to make it a little clearer. If something isn't clear enough, just holler and I'll get clarification. I'm afraid I won't post any pictures, though. After I left Facebook, I don't really have a place online to store pics. If you want, I can email some to you, Patria.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Recipe follows +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oma and Nana Aeillo’s Fruitcake Recipe (makes 2 loaves)

1 lb raisins (mix both blond and dark)
1/2 lb chopped dates
2 lb mixed dried fruit and green and red cherries
8 oz walnut pieces
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/2 tsp rum extract
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Mix fruit and nuts in a bowl with 1/3 cup of flour and set aside. (This flour coating helps keep the fruit and nuts from settling to the bottom of the loaves.)

Mix rum extract with orange juice. Set aside.

Cream together softened butter, white and brown sugars, and vanilla, and then add the eggs one at a time.

Mix 2 1/2 cups of flour, the spices, salt, and baking powder.

Add and blend the flour mixture and orange juice mixture alternately into the batter.

Add the fruit and nuts to the batter.

Divide batter evenly between (2) 9”x5” loaf pans, lined with parchment paper.

Bake in loaf pans at 300 degrees F for about 2 1/2 hours. Put a pan of water on the oven’s bottom rack while baking.

Remove from oven, and take them out of the pans and cool on a rack.

When completely cooled, my Mom would cure the fruitcake with Bourbon, Brandy, or other liquor this way: poke some holes in the top of the loaves with a skewer. Use a pastry brush to paint on about 1-2 oz of liquor on all sides and bottom. Wrap the loaves in wax paper for a few days, and repeat the process at least one more time. After the final “feeding,” rewrap each loaf in wax paper, and then aluminum foil. Store in either zip lock bags or large tin containers. Mom always swore the cakes needed a month or more of curing and storage in a cool location to be any good.

Recipe can be doubled for 4, or halved for 1 loaf. Oma (my Mom) used to make at least a dozen loaves every year, starting in August or September.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

I just printed this off. Tammy says she loves fruitcake, but neither of us has had a "real" one sounds like. She is a heck of a cook, and a fair baker. I think we can do this.

Thanks so much, Gene
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Tammy is examining the recipie. May not get it done for Christmas obviously, but I can eat it in March just fine. :lol:

Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

GeneMO wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:09 pm Tammy is examining the recipie. May not get it done for Christmas obviously, but I can eat it in March just fine. :lol:

Gene
We’ll eat one for the holidays, and then another every few months! I hope you two enjoy it!