Picked up my annual "Winter Project".

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Picked up my annual "Winter Project".

Post by PHPaul »

cx1.jpg
cx1.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 10833 times
1983 Honda CX650. Something to tinker with over the Winter. Not a huge fan of the "Special" cruiser/low rider look that was so popular back then, thinking of creating as much of a cafe' or flat tracker look as I can within the limits of my skill and budget.

Anybody interested in a blow-by-blow documentary?
Jim @ Jawa

Re: Picked up my annual "Winter Project".

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

PHPaul wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:39 am cx1.jpg
Anybody interested in a blow-by-blow documentary?
Sure, I would. ;) :P
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Me, too.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Well, first things first...

1. Found a forum full of guys that like that series of Hondas and looks like a good forum with knowledgeable and helpful folks.

2. From that forum, found a PDF download of the official Honda factory Workshop Manual for it.

3. From another source, found recommendations for sources for parts.

I've done a little preliminary disassembly and started the "hit list":

Battery missing

Air filter missing

Key missing (thought the kid would have it, claims it should be in the bike)

Front master cylinder/disk brake REALLY tight. Very little travel at the lever. Complete disassembly, cleaning, refurbishing and reassembly of the front brake with new hoses is a given on any overhaul of a 40 year old bike, so no surprise there. The fact that the brakes work at all is something of a surprise.

Seat is trashed. Again, no biggie, plan a little less funky layout anyway.

Rear turn signals are trashed. See comment about seat...

It's water cooled and the plumbing between the radiator and the thermostat/water pump is put together with a dozen o-rings in various spots. Another automatic disassemble/clean/inspect/install new o-rings and 'stat as part of the overhaul.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

cxshop.jpg
cxshop.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 10803 times
Today's task was to make room in my heated shop to wedge the bike in so I have a warm place to work on it. The garage is convenient to the house but unheated and all my tools are in the shop anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had plenty of room once I moved the welding table over a couple of feet.

Found a place that will cut a key based on the code stamped in the ignition switch housing, so that's covered.

Took the front brakes all apart - master cylinder and caliper - cleaned what is likely the original brake fluid and congealed snot out of everything and inspected them. The 40 year old rubber hose will be replaced with a braided stainless line, the caliper will get new seals and slider rubbers. The master cylinder looked good, I'll just lube the rubber bits up good with brake fluid and reassemble.

So far, the only real snag is that the air filter is missing and is no longer available from Honda and there is no aftermarket substitute. Apparently, it's unique to this year and model so no market big enough to make reproducing them viable. I'll probably wind up having to remove the air box and go with carb-mounted "pod" filters.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Progress Report #2

1. I completed the initial survey, kitted the carbs and got it to run briefly. I'd drained the coolant, didn't want to overheat it, plus the newly kitted carbs were leaking. :oops:

2. I had the carbs off and back on again. I'm getting pretty good at that... Roll Eyes When I kitted them, I used the wrong o-rings on the fuel transfer tube between the carbs and it leaked. In my defense, the correct ones were not included in the kit. Of course, I could have dug the correct ones out of my o-ring kit the first time, but where's the fun in that? "We do things right because we do them twice!"

3. The front master cylinder and caliper have been disassembled, kitted where necessary and reassembled. I do need to replace the 40-plus year old rubber hose between the MC and the caliper. I'll be doing a big parts order at some future point, I'll get that then.

4. I found this crudely whacked off connector in the wiring harness. The three yellow wires run from the alternator to the rectifier/regulator black box. I haven't investigated further but the consensus on the CX forum is that either the connector failed and some shadetree hack cut the wires and soldered them back together or the stator was replaced and came with a different style of connector.

All-in-all it's going well and no expensive surprises found so far. I did check a salvage yard for some replacement side covers. They had them and were willing to sell them to me for a measly $200 per side. They still have them... I'm confident I can either A) make something out of aluminum sheet or B) dress things up so it looks okay without them.

New sneakers will run about $200 for the pair which is cheap. I spent over $300 per tire when I reshod the FJ. Figuring out what to do about the seat will likely be the biggest expense.
Jim @ Jawa

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

Sounds like you're having fun. 8-) ;)
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Jim @ Jawa wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:09 am Sounds like you're having fun. 8-) ;)
Yeah, I'm weird that way :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll probably wind up selling it for less than I have invested in it when I'm all done.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Well, it was definitely connector failure. Things got hot enough to melt the halves of the connector together which is probably why they left it there. I had to break it to get it apart.

Whoever repaired it did a decent job of splicing the wires so I'll leave it as is for now.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Today's project was replacing all the o-rings in the plumbing for the radiator. 8 of 'em... Some of them I probably could have re-used, but several were pretty crusty and the one for the thermostat had been pinched so it probably already leaked.

Wire-wheeled the hardware and put a dab of copper never seize on all the threads when re-installing.

Also hooked 12v up to the fan motor and it runs and is essentially quiet. Don't see a way to lube the bearings or I would.

The parts order included an o-ring for the water pump. Looking at it, the carbs would definitely have to come off and I strongly suspect the engine would have to come out to replace it. Not happening until/unless it actually leaks.