Geeking out

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Geeking out

Post by PHPaul »

I've bitched as much as anyone about technology, but some aspects of it are so handy, I'd hate to do without.

Firstly, I bought a new TV as the old one was having software issues with the streaming apps and pissing me off, so I replaced it. The new one works perfectly AND has built-in bluetooth. As soon as I walk into the room and turn it on, it scans and says "Oh. The Old Fart is in here" and connects directly to my hearing aids. No more dicking around with headphones so I can hear the TV without pissing off the neighbors. Woot!

Secondly, I decided it was time to see about extending internet coverage to my shop which is 100 yards +/- from the house. Bought a "wireless bridge" which is a paired transmitter/receiver with an advertised range of up to 3 klicks. Got it, set it up and spent a couple of days messing with it and could NOT get a reliable WIFI signal. Pretty sure that was mostly about the 10-ish year old laptop and ancient software.

Plan B was to use a CAT5 Ethernet connection which the bridge also accommodates, but the cable between the wifi router in the computer room and the transmitter in the upstairs window (line of sight to the shop) was dead. Bought a cable tester (seeing as I'd given my old one away years ago when I quit doing commercial computer work) and found a bad plug. Fixed that and BOOM! Rock solid internet in the shop!

Next step is to take the old 43" TV, which will (or should...) work fine as a monitor, and hang it off the wall in the shop. Just need to grab an HDMI cable to connect it.

If I had running water and a cot... :twisted: :lol:
Dieselrider

Re: Geeking out

Post by Dieselrider »

I ran cat 5 cable to my shop a couple years back and have good connection. A bit slower than I would like at times but, it's also about 100 yards from the house and modem. It's nice if I'm looking for ideas to wood turn certain things online rather than have to trek to the house. Makes life simpler for my simple mind.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.
Red Dave

Post by Red Dave »

PHPaul wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:38 pm I've bitched as much as anyone about technology, but some aspects of it are so handy, I'd hate to do without.

If I had running water and a cot... :twisted: :lol:
I've railed about F.R.E.D.'s ( eFfing Ridiculous Electronic Devices) myself many times over the years. Some seem to think they can never do simply what they can complicate with computers and electronics. Like the coffee grinders that automatically order more beans for you when they get low that I see advertised. Who REALLY needs that?

But I'm not a Luddite, I use and appreciate technology when it makes life easier and/or better. I just want upgrades to be and actual improvement, something I need, not what some wet nosed, mouth breathing teen-aged programmer thinks I should have.

It looks to me like this is an upgrade and a helpful addition to your shop, so good on ya!

Now, if you could add a head, in addition to the running water and cot, you'd never have to leave your shop. ;) :mrgreen:
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

inetshop2.jpg
inetshop2.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Got the big monitor set up, but may have to rethink the positioning. It's pretty close to the lathe (dust/debris) and right in front of the thermostat (may affect set point). Problem is, there's not a better place for it that leaps to mind...
Patria

Post by Patria »

This nice thread is taking me a little back in time. Glad to 'see' you all.

I'm off to get ready as the man who is painting the guestroom is about to be here.

Be well!
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Hot Damn !!! This is the exact thing I have been needing to accomplish. My house is metal and the shop is metal. About 75 yards apart. Paul, what brand, model, etc did you buy? I have got to figure it out, and might as well use what worked for you.

I have fiber optic cable right to my desk thanks to my Rural Electric COOP which FDR Started back in the 1930's.

Thanks for the help, Gene
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Patria, Nice to see you here as well, we are indeed and unique, odd, off the wall group.

Gene.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Yes, I really miss the Kountry life group. The demise of that was nothing but the beginning of this whole "woke" crap, where Heaven forbid you might offend someone. To me, If you were in a "country " group, you should be tough enough to take about anything. But, I just remember the good times, and the good folks. I got in too late to get in on the big get together thing. Not even sure I know where that was at. Somewhere up in NE Missouri?

Anyway, time marches on. I am alive, living back in the woods, and trying to keep a low profile.

Gene
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

GeneMO wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:20 pm Hot Damn !!! This is the exact thing I have been needing to accomplish. My house is metal and the shop is metal. About 75 yards apart. Paul, what brand, model, etc did you buy? I have got to figure it out, and might as well use what worked for you.

I have fiber optic cable right to my desk thanks to my Rural Electric COOP which FDR Started back in the 1930's.

Thanks for the help, Gene
This one, Gene
Patria

Post by Patria »

GeneMO wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:34 pm Yes, I really miss the Kountry life group. The demise of that was nothing but the beginning of this whole "woke" crap, where Heaven forbid you might offend someone. To me, If you were in a "country " group, you should be tough enough to take about anything. But, I just remember the good times, and the good folks. I got in too late to get in on the big get together thing. Not even sure I know where that was at. Somewhere up in NE Missouri?

Anyway, time marches on. I am alive, living back in the woods, and trying to keep a low profile.

Gene

Yes, Gene, in MO at The Peanuts, in 2006 I believe. We were there also.. An unforgettable
gathering of dear friends.