One of my other hobbies

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

One of my other hobbies

Post by PHPaul »

vcastle.jpg
vcastle.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 10190 times
Daughter wants to do a terrarium-style diorama based around the ruins of a castle. We picked the picture off the web and I told her I'd build the basic form out of Plaster of Paris.
castleform.jpg
castleform.jpg (14.13 KiB) Viewed 10190 times
I sketched the outline of the front wall scaled to fit the container she wants to put it in, built a form and poured the plaster.
castlepour.jpg
castlepour.jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 10190 times
When removing the form, a couple of the smaller attaching points cracked, but that's okay, "it's a feature, not a bug". :lol:
castlecarve.jpg
castlecarve.jpg (16.12 KiB) Viewed 10190 times
The last step is to carve the stonework into the façade using hobby knives and dental tools. The gray wash will form the base for the final painting, which she will do.
Red Dave

Re: One of my other hobbies

Post by Red Dave »

Looks interesting, but requires talents that I do not have.

On a related vein, did you ever finish the diorama of the farm you were working on?
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Red Dave wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:25 am Looks interesting, but requires talents that I do not have.

On a related vein, did you ever finish the diorama of the farm you were working on?
Well, "finished" is an elusive goal, but it's been quite a while since any additions occurred to me.

Video Tour Here.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

2walls.jpg
2walls.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 10073 times
2 of the 4 more-or-less standing walls. The far left of the front will be mostly a pile of rubble.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

My part of the project is finished. Daughter will weather it, add vegetation and other details and build the terrarium diorama. I hit the front with a dark wash to demonstrate the concept as she's never worked with plaster before.

When she finishes it, I'll try to remember to post a picture here.
Patria

Post by Patria »

Red Dave wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:25 am Looks interesting, but requires talents that I do not have.

Right!
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

castleveg.jpg
castleveg.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 8839 times
castlevines.jpg
castlevines.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 8772 times
She's coming along with weathering and detailing the ruins. The finished diorama should be amazing.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

That is just pretty darned "cool" !! I guess showing my age. No one uses cool anymore. Be kinda like saying "Groovy" :lol:

Gene