Remington 572 question.

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneMO

Remington 572 question.

Post by GeneMO »

Anyone on here have experience with this? It is a pump action, tube fed, .22. Fieldmaster.

I am kinda stumped. If anyone has one, I will give more info. I inherited this, and my internet research shows two different guns, by the same # One blued steel reciever, but mine seems to be Aluminum. About 1950's to 1960's era

Thanks, Gene
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Remington 572 question.

Post by PHPaul »

No experience with that particular rifle, but reasonably handy with firearms in general. What's the issue?
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Let me think about it a bit. need to figure out how to describe it. It has several, confusing problems.

Thanks, Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

I don’t have a 572, but I do have a Win model 61, which may be similar so depending on your question, I may be able to help.

You may also want to check out this site from a company I have dealt with in the past, who sells reprints of old gun manuals—owners manuals and more detailed technical manuals. They are a good source for that kind of thing, I have bought from them several times, including for my model 61.
I searched there for your gun and a couple of hits come up right away:
https://cornellpubs.com/?s=572
iasteve

Post by iasteve »

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Thanks guys, Thanks Steve, I will check that site out. So it seems like there is an "old" version and a "new" version of this gun. I have the version that has an aluminum alloy receiver. Something is binding and causing the gun to jam. It is a pump. There is an "action bar", a piece of metal that works the bolt when you pull the pump back. And the bolt has an unusual little thing that flips around when you work the action. Something has been gouging into the side of the receiver, and the action bar shows damage on the end nearest the muzzle. It appears someone kept trying to force it. I took it apart, then set it aside for several months. It is all apart on my bench, and I am going to try to get it back together, then start researching what is wrong. First thing is to figure out the version, and then get a schematic and parts number list. I am going to try to buy a new action bar, and bolt, then see if I cant dress down that gouge on the inside of the receiver. My Father in law, at the last was messing with it, right before he passed. He was kinda "loosing it". I really think he was trying to use the gun to kill himself, and it hopelessly jammed. Just speculation.

He passed away in August. I want to get the gun back in shape and give it to one of the his great grandkids.

I will keep posting to keep you updated.

Thanks again all !!
Gene
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Bkeepr wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:57 am I don’t have a 572, but I do have a Win model 61, which may be similar so depending on your question, I may be able to help.

You may also want to check out this site from a company I have dealt with in the past, who sells reprints of old gun manuals—owners manuals and more detailed technical manuals. They are a good source for that kind of thing, I have bought from them several times, including for my model 61.
I searched there for your gun and a couple of hits come up right away:
https://cornellpubs.com/?s=572

Tom, I just ordered 3 different manuals from the company you suggested. Good source, Thanks !!!

Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

GeneMO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:04 pm …Tom, I just ordered 3 different manuals from the company you suggested. Good source, Thanks !!!

Gene
Glad I could help. Hope you manage to get your rifle working properly again. I love all of my pumps, there’s just something satisfying about shucking a round, ya know!?!!
iasteve

Post by iasteve »

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... es-rem/572

Numrich in link above has a new style action bar and old style bolt. I don't think they are compatible with each other. Don't know which you need.

Some discussion here about differences: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/ ... le.494628/
Okierob

Post by Okierob »

I have a old style 572. As far as I know they all have aluminum alloy receivers. The old style does have a few different shaped parts