Hobson’s Choice, defined

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Hobson’s Choice, defined

Post by Bkeepr »

1. an apparently free choice when there is no real alternative.
2. the necessity of accepting one of two or more equally objectionable alternatives.

Seems I am seeing more of these in every facet of life nowadays… :(
GeneMO

Re: Hobson’s Choice, defined

Post by GeneMO »

The kinda choice where you have to hold you nose before you push the button? Know what you mean. Not to drift off too much into politics, but my wife and I have talked of this often. I really, really, really think, our voting system should be changed to have a mandated choice, on every and all ballots for "NONE of THE ABOVE". And, if None of the Above wins, gets the most votes, then everyone that was on the ballot is taken off, can't run again, (for any office at all for the rest of that calander year ) . Then you start over with a brand new slate of folks. And you keep that up till you get a winner. Now, I know, that would be cumbersome, and take time, but damned if we get good people anymore.

I think there are lots and lots of really good, qualified, smart people who could fix a lot of the problems in American, but they dont want to put themselves through the wringer so to speak. And no one is perfect, so you run for office and the opponents will drag you through the mud and dig up every childhood discretion, maybe you sneaked into the church's communion wine or something. Good people stay out, when we could really uses their help.

My speech for the day.

Gene