Fuel $ in the PI.

Stories, News and General Yakking
Jim @ Jawa

Fuel $ in the PI.

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

At the pump; $4.65 per. US gal.
I been looking at the EV toys. Even tho they cost about twice the gas burners.
The Toyotas EV's are very popular in Seattle.
You guy's have one? See many on the road near you?
I been looking at them for about 3 years now. I get choked up when I look at the price.
:roll:
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Fuel $ in the PI.

Post by PHPaul »

Mostly hybrids like the Prius. A few Teslas.

I've done the math using assumptions based on the years I likely have left as a driver, how much I drive, the price of the vehicle and my best guesstimate as to the future price of dino juice, and I can't make it pencil out.

My 2020 RAV4 averages around 36mpg. A little more in the Summer, a little less in the Winter. The mileage bump for a hybrid doesn't even come close to justifying double or more the purchase price.

Then there's the whole charging thing. They can't even keep the power on during AC season, what's going to happen when all the lemmings plug their EV in at once?
Jim @ Jawa

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

I hear you.
It is not a matter of supply here it's a matter of distribution. When we go down to Dumaguete there are places where the power poles, are places where there is 4 poles side-by-side one pole trying to hold up the next.
Right here in Valencia there poles in the middle of the right hand lane and the 1 foot thick cement rood surface is paved around the pools. :lol: ;)
Red Dave

Post by Red Dave »

Electric vehicles just aren't yet ready for prime time, in my opinion. Battery technology has gotten a lot better, but it isn't yet where it needs to be for wider practicality. And the infrastructure for charging is too widely scattered to have confidence that you can travel somewhere and be assured that you can get recharged to get home again. I'm sure there is a recharge station somewhere in this county, but I'm not aware of any within a 10 mile radius of my house. If I had an electric vehicle that means I couldn't go anywhere farther than I could be sure of getting back home from on a single charge.

I have no philosophical objections to electric cars, I just don't see them as practical for most applications yet. I think that hybrids are far more practical, given present technology.

I also think that projections that practical, fully operational, fully electric powered farm tractors, bulldozers, ships and airplanes happening within my lifetime are about as likely as me getting a Star Trek Transporter installed in my living room this afternoon.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Red Dave wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:00 am Electric vehicles just aren't yet ready for prime time, in my opinion....
Agree, 100%.

I'd sure love to have a transporter, though. Wouldn't want it in my living room-- even like a "phone booth" and I had to drive into town to use it would be great! :lol:
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

About prevalence of EVs in my area-- I am shocked at how many Tesla's I see on the road. Jim's question about seeing many got me thinking so I have done a quick, un-scientific survey: On my way driving around town, I've counted cars I see driving on the road, and how many are Tesla's.

Turns out that 2.47% of the vehicles on the roads here are Tesla's! I can't say I see many other EVs, but for some reason there's lots of Tesla's in my area.