Chocolate will not hurt dogs.

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneMO

Chocolate will not hurt dogs.

Post by GeneMO »

If it did, Ole Ebo, my beagle would be dead !!!! Tammy had started buying those big Hershey's dark chocolate bars. ( For her health she say )

Anyway, we left for the weekend, left the doggie door open so Ebo could come into the laundry room. Except I forgot to close the door going into the main part of the house. So Ebo thought he was in doggie heaven. He slept on the couch, where he is normally never allowed to get on. He raided every trash can he could find. And he ate that big chocolate bar that Tammy had on her side table by the sofa. ATE IT ALL!! No ill effects. I have had multiple people tell me that chocolate will kill dogs. They never met ole Ebo !!

Gene
Jim @ Jawa

Re: Chocolate will not hurt dogs.

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

My old Filipino pitbull liked Tabasco sauce.
;) :roll:
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

I hate to contradict you Gene, but as a dog-lover I have to comment.

Chocolate does contain 2 drugs that are toxic to dogs, but the amounts of the poisons in the chocolate itself varies by brand and type of chocolate, and a dangerous dose (measured by concentration of poison in the blood) also varies by the size and weight of the dog.

Baking chocolate in general (and dark baking chocolate in particular) contains the highest amounts of the poisons, so a fairly small amount of a good dark baking chocolate in a small dog would cause problems (including life-threatening ones) much faster than a very large dog eating low-quality milk chocolate. And other factors also matter--less problem if the dog's stomach is full of other stuff, because the toxin enters the bloodstream slower and is thus diluted. There's also the danger of longer-term problems that aren't apparent right away, like kidney/liver issues.

So, I honestly laughed at your funny Ebo story, but I was also a little concerned that somebody else might read it and somehow decide it was ok to start feeding their little lapdog chocolate and cause problems. Call me a worry-wort if you want! ;)
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

I just came back and re read this post. I wonder if the breed of dog makes a difference? Ole Ebo is just a scroungy old, standard sized beagle. Seems like he is the garbage disposal of the doggie kindgom.

I do not make it a practice of feeding him chocolate, and will try to keep him away from it. He must have a cast iron stomach.

:D :lol:

Gene
Red Dave

Post by Red Dave »

My youngest daughter has a mutt. He's a nice dog, friendly as all get out, but she treats him like a china doll. Has a long list of things I'm not allowed to give him to eat.

When I was a kid I had a dog, also a mutt, and that dog ate all kinds of things like chocolate, nuts, berries, raw eggs, cat turds, beer and some of my Dad's homemade wine that didn't turn out so good. Basically anything she found that smelled interesting. That dog lived to be 18 years old, so I don't think she ever ate anything that hurt her too much.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

My son has a King Charles Spaniel. At one time they were down to something like 8 dogs of that breed. So they are all badly inbred. That thing is deaf, all sorts of things go wrong with it. Purely an inside, lap dog, pampered. doubt it lives to be 10. Seems like the mutts have that "hybrid vigor" or something. :)

Gene